Friday, June 23, 2006

Wow Phils

I try my hardest not to be so negative, I guess my angry teenage self is still with me after all this years and will always make it's presence felt whenever an opportunity calls for it. A couple of days ago on my way to work I was running late so I took the fast but crowded route via MRT. I need to get off in Buendia and take an FX that will take me to Ayala, the fare is supposed to be 10.00Php (minimum for FX's). Since I did not have any change I gave the driver a 20, so he turns to me and asks "do you have anything smaller?", "Sorry I dont" I told him, so then he asks the rest of the passengers if anybody could brake my 20... One good samaritan did, problem solved. But then when he gave me my change it was 2.00 short, so I ask the driver nicely if the fare went up and he casually said yes, he lied. That afternoon on my way home there was a long line of commuters at the MRT station all tired from working all day and a lady (if she even deserves the title) came out of nowhere and cut in the line. Some people protested to the guard on duty, instead of taking action I heard him say, "nasa Pilipinas ka", (you're in the Philippines). What does it mean!? That it's acceptable to cut in line and to overcharge fares in the Philippines? Because times are hard and everyone is desperate? This is not the first time I've experienced this, its rampant, its everywhere. Its in our streets, our homes, our schools and especially in our government. This apathy towards corruption, mis-education and crab mentality is inside each and everyone of us. Are we doomed to suffer? Dont be naive the answer is too obvious.

No comments: